National Park Alt Pirineu
The valleys of Àneu, within the Natural Park of the High Pyrenees, combine spectacular landscapes and innumerable examples of Romanesque art. A good way to get to know the valleys of Àneu is to walk through the extensive network of signposted itineraries they offer. We highlight the following:
- La Mollera de Escalarre (mountain wetland)
- The lake of La Gola
- Mont Roig (the highest mountain in the valleys of Àneu)
The Natural Park of the Alt Pirineu covers 69,850 hectares that extend through 15 municipalities of the regions of Pallars Sobirà and Alt Urgell and that make it the most extensive natural park of Catalonia. Within its scope we find:
- Some of the highest mountains of the Pyrenees, Pica d’Estats that with 3,143 m of height is the highest peak of Catalonia.
- Numerous lakes of glacial origin, among which stands out the one of Certascan and that represents the one of greater surface of Catalonia.
- A significant number of species of flora, many of them strictly protected.
- Many species of fauna among which the brown bear, the grouse and the pallarese lizard stand out.